A recent survey conducted by Everest Group found that enterprises are enthusiastic about moving critical applications to the cloud -- as long as it's private.
In fact, when choosing a preference of private, public, or indifferent, 70 percent of respondents preferred private for financial applications and ERP, 64 percent for business intelligence and analytics, 63 percent for test/dev, 60 percent for email and collaboration, and 55 percent for custom apps. Public cloud hovered between 12 and 25 percent for every workload on the survey.
It's noteworthy that the numbers are lower for email and test/dev because many of the respondents have already migrated those workloads to cloud environments.
The report authors find this lack of faith in public cloud services troubling, though. They write:
We wonder if buyers are overestimating the challenges involved in public cloud adoption. While outage incidents have been widely publicized, we doubt if the overall frequency of public cloud failures has been significantly higher than what one would expect in a traditional environment.
They go on to suggest that service providers continue to push public cloud computing by deepening their relationships with cloud providers and delivering integration services to customers, and by starting engagements with commodity workloads like email.
This is the second year that Cloud Connect and Everest Group fielded a survey of IT professionals in conjunction with the Cloud Connect conference and expo in Santa Clara next week. One twist that sets this survey apart is its targeting of buyers, sellers, and consultants as three distinct groups. The differences among them yield some interesting insights.
Among the key takeaways I found are:
- SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS adoptions have held relatively steady from 2012 to 2013.
- Private cloud (IaaS) jumped from 30 to 35 percent adopted and 36 to 42 percent planning to adopt in the near future, for a total of 77 percent.
- Hybrid cloud deployments also rose, from 44 percent to 54 percent adopted or planning to adopt soon.
- In terms of awareness and likelihood to adopt, Amazon is ranked first, with Google second and Microsoft third. Rackspace takes fourth place and AT&T takes fifth, beating out IBM, Verizon, and HP.
- Cloud buyers cite lower TCO, flexible infrastructure, and faster provisioning as their top adoption drivers; sellers cite the same top three.
- Security is the top barrier, according to both groups, followed by integration problems. There is a split at third place, with sellers choosing a lack of available solutions and buyers citing budget constraints for the first time.
Members, what do you think? Are you favoring private over public services? For which workloads? Why? And what kind of adoption timeframe do you have in place? Sound off below.